mercredi 10 octobre 2007

France Part 3

Saturday October 6th

Hey everyone, it is me again.

I am in mc donalds on the wireless internet. Yes. Fun.

I had fun the other night with the other assistants. The 16 of us went to this lovely Italian resturant, it was really nice. Around 9:30 Chealsea and I (the assistant from the other school in my town) went to the train station to get the train, according to the time table there were trains back to St Avold at 10:15, 11, 11:30 and 00:05.. When we got there the next train was not until 6:43am! This was quite the problem, especially as I had lessons at 8am! I had to call Lucy (Lucy, thank you so much for this) and ask where she was and if we could stay over.. Lucy was in a bar with some of the other assistants, so we walked around Metz for a while and found their bar and had a couple beers, I also had a conversation with this friend homeless person who was sat outside drinking wine in these plastic bottles!

So anyway, Lucy said we could stay, she has a german assistant, a Spanish and a Russian on in her school too, so I stayed with the Russian assistant and Chealsea stayed with the german assistant, they were all really nice and let is borrow towels for the shower etc, so that was nice.

The next morning I got up at 5:45 got dressed and then left their apartments. There was a problem though, the gate was locked and I had no idea how to open it. I tried turning it but nothing happened. So yes, I had to climb over this gate at 6am. In the dark. In this city I’ve only been to once before, then find my way to the station. But I did it pretty well. I’m really good at france. I am also like batman. Or something like that.

So I got to the station for 6:20, got on the train and got back into St Avold at 7:20. The bus was waiting to take me to the bus station, so I paid my 1€ and sat down. Then I heard ‘Corinne Corinne’. and yes, it was some of the students.. The started talking to me and I told them they had to speak in English, me being an English assistant and all and they asked if I was going to the school. Then when we got to the bus station they told me about the school bus and helped me get on it by explaining to the lady on the bus I was the assistant, so that was good. The bus got in at 7:56 and I walked to the class I was meant to be in and got there for just before 8, told the teacher what happened. But I was there on time so it was all ok.

I told another teacher who lives in Metz and she said she would give me her number when I get a French phone so if it happens again, I can call her and she will drive me to the school. So that is good. But it was like an adventure so I don’t mind. I am quite glad it happened because I now know not to believe time tables and to check at the train station, and I also know my way around Metz,

Anyway - yesterday I had 3 lessons, some just observing and some introducing myself and asking questions. Then me and John (the other English assistant) when to the doctor to get our form signed so we can get a social security number and then get paid. So that is all sorted now which is great. I also have my time table now. I have all Wednesday off and Mondays I just have one lesson 3-4. I also have every other Friday afternoon, so those wanting to do a weekend trip, I’ll let you know which week I have the afternoon of so I can get to Paris (aimed at Sarah, Jenny and Janine.. But anyone else who wants to come is welcome).

I have some lesson plans to do for next week, which is really exciting. Also Mme Paton gave us some tickets to a French comedy thing at a theatre tonight, which should be fun. Then we are going to check the bars out in St Avold, which should be.. Er.. Interesting to say the least!

I really miss everyone, seriously. Especially at university, I am so jealous of all the Wednesday nights out and FND’s (or flirt, which I refuse to call it) at the union. I am really excited for next year to come bacn and do the student stuff again. I really think I’ll get some kind of culture shock when I go back. 24 hour shops? What the hell? Here everything closes between noon and 2pm for a dinner break. What is all that about? I also miss going to tesco.

The things I love though how I can get wine for 1€ and it doesn’t actually taste that bad! Also people here are so friendly, you walk into a shop and everyone says hello, asks how you are, they are patient with me when I’m speaking friend.. It is just a lot nicer than England. And the students here are a lot more well behaved. They actually listen to the teacher. I just really love the French culture. The food in the school cantean is also really good! In England we get chips, pizza, sausage rolls, crisps.. In france you get rabbit, gammon, sea food with squid, mussles, fish etc.. chicken, pasta, steak.. Salad, friut, yogurt.. Its just a lot nicer and a lot healthier. So I am really happy about my current situation.

I am in Metz right now, it is a really pretty city. Lots of shops and cute cafes. Resturants and it is very typically French. I think I may come here every Wednesday on my day off as it’s only about £5 for a return with my 12-25 year old train card. I’m also hoping to visit Nancy, germany and Luxembourg in the next month or two.

I am also working on getting internet in my room. The IT man gave me a sheet of paper with the IP address and port etc I should be using, but I am no IT person so I don’t really know what I’m doing. Apparently somebody is going to come to our appartment on Monday and maybe try sort it. I will not hold my breathe though, but I will keep working on it. But if not I’ll use the internet cafes and wifi bars in Metz every Saturday and Wednesday until then.

I’m sorry I’ve not been replying to e-mails and private message, I’ve only had like 15 mins of internet time or so, I’ve not even checked my e-mails in a week and a half! I just log onto face book, update and then it’s time for me to go basically. I’ll try rely to you all soon though.

Please remember I have a new phone number which is on my face book page, my other number is now de-activated until april.. I’ll also be getting a French number sometime soon. My address while I’m here is also on my page if anyone wants to send me letters, although I’ve not found the post office here yet. It is lame ass man.

I love you all and will speak to you soon!

Aucun commentaire: